Skip to Content

Your Medical Team for Skin Cancer Treatment at the University of Colorado Cancer Center

University of Colorado Hospital and the University of Colorado Cancer Center bring a team approach to your care. That means we bring all types of cancer specialists – including surgeons, oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, nurses, social workers, geneticists, counselors and more – to review a patient’s case, follow its progress and develop ways to achieve the best results.

Physician Consultation

Each physician on your care team has
precise, ongoing training in specific conditions.

And since we partner with the physicians of the renowned University of Colorado School of Medicine and an elite, Magnet-designated nursing corps, you’ll be treated by a varied and valuable pool of specialists and experts.

Medical knowledge, as might you know, doubles every four years. Keeping up with it all is often hard for a community physician. But because each attending physician here is on the faculty of the School of Medicine, each not only knows the very latest proven treatments and research in his or her specialty, but also teaches it.

What it means for you

It means that each doctor on your care team has precise, ongoing training in his or her area of expertise and a specific interest in skin cancer treatment. During their weekly conferences, these doctors combine their expertise to explore the best available treatment options for each patient.

Below is a list of some of the experts – the lead members of your skin cancer team – who are at your service.

Dermatologist – A doctor who has special training to diagnose and treat skin problems.

Dermapathologist – A doctor who identifies disease in lesions of the skin by studying tissues under a microscope.

Dermatologic Surgeon – A doctor who performs surgeries on skin cancers.

Medical Oncologist – A doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating cancer using chemotherapy, hormonal therapy and biological therapy. A medical oncologist often serves as the main caretaker of someone who has cancer, and coordinates the treatment provided by other specialists.

Oncology Nurse – A nurse who specializes in treating and caring for people who have cancer.

Radiation Oncologist – A doctor who treats patients with cancer using radiation therapy as the main treatment.

Radiologist – A doctor who uses medical imaging technologies like CT scans and MRIs to diagnose and sometimes treat disease.

Social Worker – A professional trained to provide counseling and emotional support to patients and assist with practical living issues, such as minimizing the effects of lost work time, coping with disabilities and paying medical expenses.

Surgical Oncologist – A doctor who performs biopsies and other surgical procedures on cancer patients. 

Request an Appointment


Cancer - Need Support?

Latest News

View more


View more