Skip to Content

Care and Treatment for Blood Clotting Disorders

Why Choose Treatment for Blood Clotting Disorders at University of Colorado Hospital?

Request an Appointment

Contact us

Call (720) 848-0300 or submit an online form

The doctors who treat blood clotting disorders at University of Colorado Hospital are certified in their field and provide the best diagnosis and treatment.

Providers at UCH use the latest research findings to treat patients with these disorders in a variety of settings.

What are Blood Clotting Disorders?

Clotting disorders occur when unwanted blood clots form, sometimes blocking normal blood flow through blood vessels or breaking loose and traveling to other sites in the body.

Between 5 and 8 percent of people in the U.S. have hereditary or acquired clotting disorders (thrombophilia).

Blood clotting disorders may lead to serious conditions, including:

  • Deep vein thrombosis – vein blockages, most often in the legs.
  • Pulmonary embolism – clots in the lungs.
  • Stroke – cutoff of blood to areas in the brain.
  • Heart attack – cutoff of blood to the heart.
  • Gangrene – death of tissue caused by lack of blood flow.

Patient Education About Clotting Disorders

Getting a Second Opinion About Blood Clotting Disorders

Your doctor might not have significant experience with blood clotting disorders. In that case, a second opinion is often helpful.


Additional Resources

University of Colorado Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center

Medline Plus

Centers for Disease Control

Tests & Treatments for Clotting Disorders

Tests for Blood Clotting Disorders

The following tests may help determine if you have a blood clotting disorder:


  • Antiphospholipid Antibody Test. A blood test can reveal the presence of antiphospholipid antibodies. These proteins can cause your blood vessels to function irregularly. They can narrow the blood vessels, making them more susceptible to blockage, or cause blood clots to form.
  • Antithrombin Test. This blood test measures the amount of antithrombin, a protein that helps control blood clotting. Low levels of this protein increase the risk of a life-threatening blood clot (thrombotic episode).
  • Factor V Leiden Mutation. This blood test determines the presence of an inherited gene mutation that increases your risk of developing blood clots in the veins. It may be ordered if you have an unexplained thrombotic episode. It also may be ordered if you suffer a clot in an unusual part of the body, such as the liver or kidneys.
  • Lupus Anticoagulant. This blood test verifies the presence of a protein that interferes with the blood-clotting process. It is ordered if you have an unexplained thrombotic episode or if the time it takes your blood to clot is abnormally long.
  • Prothrombin 20210. This test is a genetic screening for the presence of a gene mutation that increases the amount of thrombin. Thrombin is a protein that helps to coagulate blood.
  • Protein C and Protein S Tests. These tests measure the amounts of proteins that help to control blood clotting. A deficiency in the proteins may cause clots to form in the veins.


    Treatments for Blood Clotting Disorders

    There is no single treatment for clotting disorders. You may be treated with aspirin or with blood-thinning drugs such as:

    • Warfarin
    • Heparin
    • Low molecular weight Heparin

Your Medical Team

Doctors, nurses and other providers work together at UCH to treat patients with blood clotting disorders. Doctors collaborate in the care of adults and children to provide the best possible care.


Blood Clotting Disorder Specialists


  • Hematologist – A doctor who specializes in diseases of the blood and the blood-forming organs.
  • Internist – A doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases that do not require surgery.
  • Pediatrician – A doctor who specializes in treating children.
  • Interventional radiologists – a doctor who uses imaging technology to perform minimally invasive treatments.
  • Vascular surgeon – a surgeon who repairs problems in the veins and arteries.
  • Wound care specialists – specialists who promote healing of chronic and acute wounds.


Other Blood Clotting Disorder Staff

Clinical care nurse – a nurse who specializes in the care of a specific patient population.

UPI Building at Anschutz

University of Colorado Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center

The UCHTC is the only facility with hemophilia expertise in the region. As the region's premier center for the treatment of patients with bleeding and clotting disorders, the UCHTC is an international leader in clinical and laboratory research.

Visit our website

The team of experienced physicians, nurses, pharmacists, physical therapists, social workers and researchers are dedicated to making the UCHTC a comprehensive care unit for all persons affected by bleeding and clotting disorders. The clinic is an ambulatory care outpatient clinic that is located at the Anschutz Medical Campus.

Bleeding Disorders Research Trials

The University of Colorado Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center currently manages numerous clinical trials for persons with bleeding disorders.

For more information, please contact Dierdre Cooper-Blacketer at (303) 724-0692.

Ongoing studies at UCHTC