at University of Colorado Hospital
What Is UEXCEL?
UEXCEL Credentialing Timeline 2014
Intent to Credential Submission Deadline: April 1, 2014
Credentialing Portfolio Submission Deadline:
August 22, 2014
Notification of Credentialing Status:
October 15, 2014
UEXCEL is a goal-oriented professional practice program that offers the opportunity for promotion by submitting a portfolio to demonstrate your achievements. The portfolio consists of documentation of your contributions to nursing practice at University of Colorado Hospital and your commitment to the profession. Both regular and flex clinical nurses are eligible to advance beyond Level II in the UEXCEL Professional Practice Program by portfolio application.
2013 UEXCEL Luncheon and Award Ceremony
January 30, 2014
UEXCEL Credentialing Information 2013-2014
An up-to-date Nursing Spectrum article on Patricia Benner's Novice to Expert theory which is the theoretical basis of the UEXCEL Program
Nurses looking to credential in UEXCEL 2013-14 are strongly encouraged to attend a UEXCEL Introductory Workshop
Sign up in HealthStream by searching "UEXCEL" in the catalog
UEXCEL - Introductory Workshop
This workshop provides a broad overview of the credentialing process and the required components of the UEXCEL credentialing portfolio.
At the conclusion, participants should be able to:
- Describe the value of the credentialing process
- Identify the 4 sections of a credentialing portfolio
- Identify resources available to assist in portfolio development
- Identify the key components of a professional resume
- Construct a professional resume for use in seeking a professional promotion
- Describe the benefits of reflective practice and clinical narrative writing
- Develop a clinical narrative illustrating advanced (or expert Level IV) clinical practice
2013 Introductory Workshop Dates - register in HealthStream (LB: Leprino Bldg)
- Thursday Aug. 22, 9:30-11:30 a.m., LB 612
- Tuesday Aug. 27, 10 a.m. to noon, LB 612
- Monday Sept. 9, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., LB 613
- Tuesday Sept. 17, 8-10 a.m., LB 612
UEXCEL - Resume/Narrative
This course will go more specifically into how to construct or refine your professional resume and how to write a clinical narrative to "tell your story," both important components of your portfolio. Participants are encouraged to bring drafts of their resume and/or narrative to class for feedback (this is optional).
2013 Resume/Narrative Workshop Dates - register in HealthStream (LB: Leprino Bldg)
- Monday April 8, 8-9 a.m., LB 620
- Thursday April 25, 9-10 a.m., LB 612
- Monday May 13, 10:30-11:30 a.m., LB 612
- Tuesday May 21, noon to 1 p.m., LB 612
Are you planning to submit your 2012-13 UEXCEL credentialing portfolio in DIGITAL* format?
*If you are credentialing from Level III to Level IV, a digital portfolio is REQUIRED! There are limited spots for Level III portfolios on a first come, first serve basis. [Contact Allison Nicholson (email@example.com) for portfolio reimbursement details.]
Questions? Read our Digital Portfolios FAQs.
Cost comparison of paper vs digital portfolio.
If you are interested in the digital portfolio opportunity, we recommend you attend one of the 2013 introductory classes being offered (all classes held in Leprino Bldg):
2013 Digital Portfolio Workshop Dates - register in HealthStream (LB: Leprino Bldg)
- Monday Dec. 10, 2:30-4 p.m., LB 615 (last 2012 date)
- Monday Jan. 14, 1-2:30 p.m., LB 616
- Wednesday Jan. 30, 9-10:30 a.m., LB 615
- Monday April 8, 9-10:30 a.m., LB 615
- Thursday April 25, 10-11:30 a.m., LB 615
- Monday Sept. 9, 12:30-2:30 p.m., LB 616
- Tuesday Sept. 17, 10-11:30 a.m., LB 616
- Monday Oct. 14, 8-9:30 a.m., LB 615
- Thursday Oct. 24, 9:30-11 a.m., LB 616
Questions? Send an email message to the Digital Portfolio mailbox
2013 Certified Advisor Workshop Dates - register in HealthStream (LB: Leprino Bldg)
This workshop is required for nurses seeking to serve as a Certified UEXCEL Advisor.
- Monday Jan. 14, 12-1 p.m., LB 613
- Thursday Jan. 24, 9:30-10:30 a.m., LB 620
- Wednesday Jan. 30, 8-9 a.m., LB 620
- Monday Feb. 4, 3-4 p.m., LB 613
UEXCEL Advisor Course
UEXCEL Board Credentialed to Levels III and IV