Professional Resources (Nursing)
at University of Colorado Hospital
The Department of Professional Resources helps the University of Colorado Hospital attract registered nurses and other health care providers.
Our diverse professional staff provides the following services for employees and the community:
The University of Colorado Hospital has been awarded Magnet status by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). The Magnet Recognition Program® developed by ANCC recognizes nursing excellence, quality patient care and innovations in the practice of nursing.
Professional Resources Programs
UEXCEL: A Clinical Advancement Program for Nurses
The EXcellence in Clinical care, Education and Evidence, and Leadership (UEXCEL) program provides the foundation for professional registered nurse practice and promotion.
Each of the four levels of UEXCEL represents increased responsibility, clinical knowledge and expertise of nurses. UEXCEL provides promotion opportunities while retaining clinical nurses in the role of direct care providers.
The goals of the UEXCEL program are:
- To create an environment that promotes professional actions and attitudes by nurses
- To define expectations and levels of professional nurse practice from novice to expert
- To provide opportunities for professional development and career advancement
- To provide a framework for evaluating and credentialing professional registered nurses
- To provide a system of compensation and rewards
Graduate Nurse Residency Program
The Graduate Nurse Residency Program is a year-long program to help graduate nurses make the transition into professional nursing practice.
The program places special emphasis on:
- Critical thinking skills
- Leadership abilities
- Patient safety
- Professional career development
- Research-based practice
- Written and verbal communications skills
Clinical Orientation Program
UCH's Department of Professional Resources offers Clinical Orientation to familiarize clinical personnel with policies, procedures, equipment and skills utilized in their job settings.
Professional Resources Team
Our Professional Resources Team includes:
- Clinical Nurse Educators
- Clinical Nurse Specialists/Educators
- Clinical Development Coordinator
- Clinical Instructors
- Clinical Instructional Development Dpecialist
- Coordinator, Graduate Nurse Residency Program
- Coordinator, Patient Education
- Coordinator, Life Support
- Nursing Informatics Specialists
- Project Coordinators
- Research Nurse Scientists
The Department of Professional Resources encourages the use of the Patient Resource Center, located in the main lobby of the Anschutz Outpatient Pavilion on the Anschutz Medical Campus. The Patient Resource Center is a place for patients, their families, friends and members of the community to find free medical information and resources for personal use.
Hours: Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. depending on staff availability.
Information: (720) 848-1010.
The hospital encourages clinicians to base their clinical decision making on research.
The Department of Professional Resources is committed to supporting nurses and other health care professionals with research activities, including education about research, evidence-based practice, research utilization, and the conduct of research. Multidisciplinary contributions and collaborative research are respected and valued.
Professional Resources provides mentoring for individual projects and participates in multi-site projects with other institutions and professional organizations. We encourage clinical staff to become familiar with national initiatives published by specialty groups and institutions.