GENERAL LABORATORY GUIDELINES
Every laboratory test must be ordered under the license of a physician and must be requested using the appropriate electronic ordering system (e.g. Epic), or if an ordering system is unavailable, on the appropriate requisition form.
PROPER COMPLETION OF REQUISITIONS
Requisition forms must contain the following information:
- Patient's last and first name
- Patient medical record number and patient account number (visit number) or client number
- IP or OP clinic location or client site
- Requesting physician's last and first names, and if defined in the laboratory computer, physician license number (must be legible)
- Specific requirements as listed in the test guide, i.e. time of drawing for therapeutic drug monitoring, site for Microbiology specimen, date and time drawn and phlebotomist’s initials for Transfusion Services, etc.
- ICD-9 Code demonstrating the medical necessity for each test ordered on all outpatient requisitions
- Phone number or pager to call critical results or to contact the ordering location.
Note: Medicare generally does not cover routine screening tests or services when a “rule-out” diagnosis is provided. Code the condition(s) to the highest degree of certainty for that encounter/visit, such as signs, symptoms, abnormal test results, exposure to communicable disease or other reasons for the visit.
If the patient information is missing, the specimen will be considered unacceptably labeled.