Advanced Care Partners Program at University of Colorado Hospital
The application window for the December 2013 ACP Program will open on Tuesday, October 1st.
Greetings ACP Applicant:
We have come to the start of another selection period for Advanced Care Partners positions. Please review the web for all pertinent information related to the program, including the start date and deadlines.
The next ACP orientation will start on December 9th, 2013. This is a 4-day orientation, and it is required of the Advanced Care Partner to coordinate personal schedules and attend all parts of orientation.
Monday, December 9, 2013 | 0800-400pm
Tuesday, December 10, 2013 | 0800-400pm
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 | 0800-500pm
Monday, December 16, 2013 | 0800-500pm
*Due to the large ACP class for our upcoming December start, dates and times are subject to change. More information will be communicated once dates are finalized.
The deadline to apply for the December 2013 ACP Program is Thursday, October 24th at 5:00pm Mountain Standard Time.
To view the upcoming dates and deadlines for the future 2014 ACP Cohorts, please click here.
Become an ACP at the Region's only Academic Medical Center
The Advanced Care Partners Program at University of Colorado Hospital provides employment opportunities to BSN nursing students who have completed their Med/Surg I clinical rotation (i.e. Integration I and II for CU-Denver CON students). Advanced Care Partners will work under the supervision of a registered nurse in selected clinical areas, and function as CNAs with additional specialized skills.
Benefits for BSN Students
- Increase clinical competency caring for patients
- Enhance critical thinking skills
- Develop more advanced interpersonal skills
- Build self-confidence
- Establish an excellent bridge to the University of Colorado Hospital's Graduate Nurse Residency Program
- Determine if your clinical service is a “match” as a start to your nursing career
- Perform in an evidence-based, knowledge-driven environment
- Gain insights into how delegated personnel work with a professional registered nurse
Other skills you will learn:
- Place peripheral IVs; remove peripheral capped IV’s
- Perform phlebotomy
- Place and remove urinary drainage catheters
- Assist RNs with collecting patient admission data
- Perform sterile dressing changes
About Our Hospital
A great nursing hospital. Since 2002, University of Colorado Hospital has been designated three consecutive times as an ANCC Magnet Hospital for its excellence in nursing services. More features that make University of Colorado Hospital an acknowledged leader:
- Regional Burn Center
- Certified Primary Stroke Center
- National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center
- Trauma-certified hospital
- Winner of the UCH 2011 and 2012 Quality Leadership Award
- Innovative research and patient care programs in all specialties
- Shares the Anschutz Medical Campus with the University of Colorado Denver's renowned health sciences schools
For more information about Nursing at the University of Colorado Hospital, please click here.
About University of Colorado Hospital Nursing
We hire only BSN graduate nurses, who enjoy the following benefits of working with us:
- Nurse/Patient ratios are extremely favorable in medical surgical specialty units
- Active education and nursing research programs
- Clinical Ladder System for professional advancement
- Classes and support groups for new graduate residents
- Fantastic learning environment for individuals beginning their nursing career
- Evidence-based nursing practice hospital
For more information about our Post-Baccalaureate Nurse Residency Program, please click here.
Application Information and Requirements
- Currently enrolled in an accredited nursing baccalaureate program (BSN). Candidates enrolled in an Accelerated Baccalaureate Nursing Program or in an Associates Degree-to-BSN are not eligible to apply for our Advanced Care Partner Program.
- Must be able to attend Hospital Orientation, ACP orientation and Computer Training on the week of December 9, 2013. Hospital orientation is Monday and Tuesday, and ACP orientation is on Wednesday, of the orientation week. The following Monday is computer training. All orientation days will be all-day. No exceptions are permitted. Therefore, it is important that personal and school schedules are coordinated beforehand.
Must have completed Med/Surg I at time of application. If you are currently in Med/Surg I or expected to complete it at the time of the orientation start date, we ask that you apply for the next cohort offered. For a list of the Med/Surg I equivalent courses at your school, please click here.
Be able to work at least one 12 hour shift (day, nights or weekends, as needed by unit) per week consistently until graduation. ACP positions are not seasonal or temporary positions. ACPs who are hired for the Cardiac IMCU or CICU units, will be required to work a hybrid role as a Telemetry Technician / ACP. Out-of-state candidates are eligible to apply for the Summer ACP Program only. Summer ACPs are required to work full-time hours during the summer.
Preference will be given to applicants who are at least one year or more from graduation. Applicants graduating within the next year are encouraged to wait and apply for the Post-Baccalaureate Nurse Residency Program.
**Please note that our online application will only allow for one document to be uploaded. For supplemental documents (i.e. resume / ACP supplemental questionaire / unofficial transcript), these will need to be scanned in one PDF attachment or uploaded in one Word attachment. The online application will only accept attachments in a Word or PDF format. Please ensure that when the document is uploaded, that it is in a printable format.
Nursing School Unofficial Transcripts – We only need unofficial transcripts from your current institutions where you are attending nursing school. This will help us to verify the completion of your Med-Surg I course requirement.
ACP Clinical Evaluation – Please have your clinical instructor email this document to UCH-SN-Recruiting@uchealth.org RE: ACP Application. Please remember to include the candidate's full name on all email submissions. Or, if you have this evaluation, you may attach it with your online application.
Unexpired American Heart Association CPR Card.
- Due to the number of applications, HR is unable to confirm receipt of your application.
- Please only electronically apply when you have all parts of your application. Any missing pieces from the date of your application will automatically disqualify you. Paper applications are not accepted.
- Please put your name on each page of your application including e-mail attachments. Please ensure that when you attach all documents electronically, all documents are in a format that we can open.
- We highly discourage applicants from approaching hiring managers directly in regards to openings. All applications must go through Human Resources.
For additional questions, please e-mail them directly to UCH-SN-Recruiting@uchealth.org
Interviewing & Offers
- Applications will be reviewed by a recruiter after all four components (application/resume, questionnaire, clinical reference and transcripts) have been received in Human Resources.
- Offers will be made contingent upon passing a post-offer, pre-employment physical examination and background check.
If you have additional questions about the Advanced Care Partner Program, please e-mail them to UCH-SN-Recruiting@uchealth.org.