Helping You Prevent Injuries
Who to Contact
For information about these programs, contact Joy Schmitter (720) 848-5165 or UCHCarSeatCheck@uch.edu
You may know that University of Colorado Hospital excels at the emergency care of serious injuries through the Emergency Department and Trauma Services, but do you know what we do for prevention of injuries?
UCH is dedicated to preventing injuries through reality education, enabling risk recognition and providing informed choices about activities and behaviors.
Buckle Up Baby!
It’s the Law
Child Passenger Safety
- Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of injury-related death for children.
- Using a car seat can reduce the risk of death in car crashes by 71% and by 54% for toddlers.
- 7 out of 10 kids in car seats are not properly buckled in.
Need help installing your car seat?
Visit this website and choose the "Videos" tab to see car seat installation videos from your car seat manufacturer.
Current Aurora Car Seat Fit Stations
- Children's Hospital Colorado: every Wednesday; please call (720) 777-4808 to schedule an appointment
- Aurora Fire Department: 4th Saturday of every month, from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.; call (303) 326-8976 to schedule an appointment.
The Aurora Fire Department has Child Passenger Safety Technicians throughout the city at various fire stations. These technicians can inspect and educate parents about the proper installation of car seats. The parent/guardians will be given best practices as well as Colorado law regarding child passenger safety. There is no charge for this service, but it is important to call ahead of time to make sure which station has a tech as it changes daily. Please call 303-326-8999 to find which station has a tech on for that day.
Metro Denver-area Car Seat Fit Stations
View/download list of locations/appointment times (last update Oct 2013)
5 Steps to Car Seat Safety
Securing our most precious cargo
- INFANTS should ride rear-facing until they are at least two years old (American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation)
- CHILDREN should ride in a forward-facing harnessed car seat until they are at least 40 lbs and four years old or have reached the weight limit of their child safety seat
- KIDS over 40 lbs and less than 4 feet 9 inches tall should use booster seats until the child reaches 9 years old
- KIDS 57 inches tall and at least 8 years old should always wear a seat belt when in the car
- ALL CHILDREN under the age of 13 should ride in the back seat
Read the Aurora Sentinel Story (in new window, click graphic to enlarge)
Aurora Sentinel story written by Brandon Johansson
Photo: Heather L. Smith, Aurora Sentinel