Surgical Weight Loss Center
Our Philosophy of Care
In 1991, the National Institutes of Health called a meeting to discuss the benefits of bariatric surgery.
The panel, made up of many different health professionals, concluded that surgery is the most effective treatment for obesity. It also produces the greatest amount of permanent weight loss.
Surgical Weight Loss Center Accredited by the ACS Bariatric Surgery Center Network
UCH's Surgical Weight Loss Center is accredited as a Level 1 facility by the Bariatric Surgery Center Network (BSCN) Accreditation Program of the American College of Surgeons (ACS).
The ACS accreditation recognizes the high level of patient care and excellent outcomes provided by our doctors, nurses and staff.
Who Should Consider Weight Loss Surgery?
Bariatric surgery, though, is not the best treatment for all obese patients. The following types of patients would probably benefit the most from this surgery:
- People with a BMI of 40 or above (or who weigh at least twice their ideal body weight) who have failed to lose weight following a physician supervised weight loss or exercise program.
- People with a BMI of 35 and above with significant other severe problems caused by the obesity.
Lifelong Patient Care
At the Surgical Weight Loss Center, we are dedicated to lifelong patient care for those who require bariatric or weight loss surgery procedures.
Before, during and after your surgery our team is by your side, helping you successfully adjust to this major lifestyle change.
- Fellowship trained, board certified bariatric surgeon
- Dedicated bariatric dietitian
- Nutrition Classes
- Monthly Post-surgery support group meetings
- Psychological consultations
- Fitness center designated for surgical weight loss patients and staffed by trained physical rehabilitation specialists
- Specially equipped private hospital rooms in the new Anschutz Inpatient Pavilion
- State of the are video laparoscopic operating room
The staff at the Surgical Weight Loss Center at UCH is dedicated to lifelong
patient care for those who require weight loss surgery procedures. Call us
at (720) 848-2070 for an appointment.
Our Consultative Services
See our Weight Loss Procedures page for more information:
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding (LAP-Band)
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Lap Band Fills
- Second Opinions
Here's What to Bring to Your Surgical Weight Loss Appointment
A packet of information will be mailed to you prior to your appointment. Please complete all the forms in the packet.
health assessment form
a seven day food journal
patient intake form
We will ask you to obtain all medical records pertaining to health problems associated with obesity and bring them with you to your appointment. These records will help establish medical necessity with your insurance company.
Note: Before getting approval for weight loss surgery, we require that patients complete a nutrition class and a comprehensive psychological evaluation.
Surgical Weight Loss Center: Contact Information
Surgical Weight Loss Center
1635 Aurora Court, 6th floor AOP
Aurora, CO 80045
Get Maps and Directions
When We're Open
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Insurance & Payment Information
Requirements for weight loss surgery depend on your insurance company.
The procedure can be referred to as “bariatric," “gastric bypass” or a “Roux-En-Y gastric bypass.”
In general, 100 pounds over an ideal body weight is the minimum acceptable criteria, and other weight-related medical problems help to establish medical necessity.
Please check with your insurance company to verify if you are covered. Self-pay packages are available.