Classes, Support Resources and Events
The Monfort Family Foundation Cancer Resource Center is a resource for people with cancer, regardless of whether they are receiving treatment at the University of Colorado Cancer Center.
The resource center is staffed by an American Cancer Society Patient Navigator and ensures that our patients and community have access to credible and current information about cancer, treatment, support resources, and survivorship.
The following is available through the resource center:
- Printed materials and web based resources on specific cancer types
- Lending library with resources on physical, emotional, and practical aspects of the cancer journey
- Audio/visual materials to assist with stress release, guided imagery, and relaxation techniques
- Support groups and educational classes
- Lodging and transportation services near our facility
- Tours of the cancer center for new patients, caregivers and special "Lemonade Tours" for children of cancer patients
- Computers with internet access
Location and Hours
The Cancer Resource Center is located on the second floor in the Anschutz Cancer Pavilion at University of Colorado Hospital. It is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please call (720) 848-0316 for more information.
AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY PATIENT NAVIGATOR
The University of Colorado Hospital American Cancer Society Patient Navigator can:
- Connect patients and caregivers with programs and services to help improve access to resources and support to help them on their journey
- Help patients deal with the day-to-day challenges of living with cancer, such as transportation, lodging, and financial assistance
- Provide help throughout the disease continuum – from the time of diagnosis, through treatment, into survivorship.
Location and Hours
The ACS Patient Navigator is located in the Cancer Resource Center on the second floor in the Anschutz Cancer Pavilion at University of Colorado Hospital. It is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please call (720) 848-0316 for more information.
SUPPORT GROUPS AND EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS
The University of Colorado Cancer Center offers the following cancer specific support groups at our facility:
- Leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma
- Brain Tumor
- Young Adult
- Couples Facing Cancer
Please call 720-848-0316 for more information or to register for any of these support groups.
In addition, the Cancer Center offers other educational programs and events:
Cancer Resource Center Orientation: A program helping patients and families connect with the services and resources available to them at University of Colorado Cancer Center.
Look Good…Feel Better: A FREE program sponsored by the American Cancer Society. The program teaches women undergoing cancer treatment beauty techniques to overcome treatment related side effects. Registration is required at (720) 848-0316.
CLIMB® : A support program for young children coping with a parent diagnosed with cancer.
Lemonade Tours: A program offering tours of the cancer center for children coping with a parent diagnosed with cancer.
Nutrition Lectures: Join the Cancer Center for timely lectures on nutrition and the impact it can have on cancer. Taught by a nutritionist who specializes in working with cancer patients and survivors.
Art therapy is available to patients and family at the Cancer Center. Gail Opsahl, BFA, MA Art Therapist and cancer survivor, provides free, fun and inspiring hands-on art activities. Experience the gifts that come through art, intuition, imagination, insight and inspiration. No previous art experience necessary!
Art Therapy to support your healing journey is available through:
The Infusion Center: Outreach with the Art Cart available weekly to infusion patients, family and friends, offering art activities and support chair side during treatments.
11th Floor of the Anschutz Inpatient Pavilion: Room visits by request or referral to Oncology and BMT in-patients and family members, including opportunities to learn and practice relaxation, guided imagery and art making for stress relief, self-expression and enjoyment.
"Healing Journeys" Annual Art Exhibit: Held Annually in June, the University of Colorado Hospital welcomes entries of original artworks by cancer patients, survivors, family and friends, as well as healthcare professionals and caregivers--anyone whose life has been touched by cancer.
For information, including dates and times of upcoming groups, call or email Gail Opsahl at (720) 848-2450, Gail.firstname.lastname@example.org