Treatment Summaries and Survivorship Care Plans
WHAT IS A TREATMENT SUMMARY AND SURVIVORSHIP CARE PLAN?
A Treatment Summary and Survivorship Care Plan is a summary of your medical history created for both you and your health care providers to help ensure you receive appropriate follow-up care. The plan includes a treatment summary, follow-up care instructions, and important information needed to monitor for late and long term effects of your cancer treatment.
The following should be included in your treatment summary and survivorship care plan:
- Diagnosis, cancer type, stage, location, etc.
- Treatment administered: type, dose, site, drug, etc.
Follow-Up Care Plans
- Plan for follow-up tests and appointments
- Information on late- and long-term effects of cancer treatment
- Recommendations for a healthy lifestyle
- Recommendations for support resources (psychosocial, fertility, financial, etc.)
Survivorship Care Plans include:
- Diagnosis and treatment information (including potential treatment consequences)
- Timing and content of follow-up visits
- Tips on maintaining a healthy lifestyle and preventing recurrent or new cancers
- Availability of psychological and support services
TOOLS TO HELP YOU CREATE A TREATMENT SUMMARY AND SURVIVORSHIP CARE PLAN
Treatment summaries and survivorship care plans are best created between you and your healthcare team. Here are some tools to start the discussion:
LIVESTRONG® Care Plan: http://livestrongcareplan.org/
ASCO Cancer Treatment Summaries: http://www.cancer.net/patient/Survivorship/ASCO+Cancer+Treatment+Summaries
Journey Forward Survivorship Care Plan