Skip to Content

Your Bone Cancer Medical Team at the University of Colorado Cancer Center

The University of Colorado Cancer Center has a  team approach to your care. That means we can (and do) bring all types of cancer specialists – including surgeons, oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, nurses, social workers, geneticists, counselors and more – to review your case, follow your progress and develop ways to achieve the best results.

As a leading national cancer center – the only one in our vast region – we attract many of the country’s top specialists.

Medical knowledge, as you might know, doubles every four years. Keeping up with it all is often hard for a community physician. But because each attending physician here is on the faculty of the renowned University of Colorado School of Medicine, each not only knows the latest proven treatments and research, but also teaches it.

For you, that means each doctor on your care team has detailed, ongoing training in his or her area of expertise. These doctors then combine their specialties to create a customized approach to each patient.
Below is a list of the kinds of experts on our bone cancer team who are at your service.

For Diagnosis and Treatment

Surgeon/Musculoskeletal Orthopedic Oncologist – a doctor who specializes in performing orthopedic surgery and diagnosing and treating patients with bone and soft tissue cancer.

Medical Oncologist – A doctor who prescribes chemotherapy and manages overall cancer treatment of patients.

Radiation Oncologist – A doctor who treats patients who need radiation therapy.

Pathologist – A doctor who identifies disease by studying tissues under a microscope.

Radiologist – A doctor who uses medical imaging technologies like CT scans and MRIs to diagnose and sometimes treat disease.

Interventional Radiologist – A doctor who uses medical imaging technologies to perform embolization, a procedure that closes one or more blood vessels feeding a tumor.

Cytologist – A scientist who helps make cancer diagnosis more precise by studying a tumor’s genetic make-up.

For Rehabilitation

After surgery for your bone or soft tissue cancer, you will spend much of your time and energy on becoming mobile again. These specialists will help:

Physiatrist/Physical Rehabilitation Physician – A doctor who specializes in maximizing physical abilities and long-term rehabilitation.

Physical Therapist – A trained health professional who gives patients exercises and other physical activities to help them improve their mobility and strength and to reduce pain.

Occupational Therapist – A trained health professional who helps patients manage their daily activities.

Social Worker – A professional trained to talk with patients and their families about emotional or physical needs, and who helps find them and their families secure support services.

Psychologist – A trained professional who can talk with patients and families about emotional or personal matters, and who also can test for cognitive ability.

Psychiatrist – A doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders.

Request an Appointment


Cancer - Need Support?

Latest News

View more


View more