Bone, Joint & Muscle Injury Prevention
Why Choose Bone, Joint and Muscle Injury Prevention at University of Colorado Hospital?
Programs at University of Colorado Hospital help prevent injuries. Services offered at UCH include:
- Health and fitness evaluations
- Strength and conditioning programs
- Nutritional counseling
Bone, Joint and Muscle Injury Prevention
As we get older, the bones, joints and muscles in the body become weaker and start to break down. The weakening is partly due to aging, but lack of use and conditions such as arthritis and osteoporosis also play a role.
You can take some basic precautions to avoid injuries:
- Exercise regularly, but moderately, to strengthen muscles and keep tendons and ligaments elastic.
- Prepare for exercise by properly stretching your muscles.
- Spend additional time warming up any parts of your body that have been previously injured.
- Avoid overuse. If you experience joint or muscle pain during exercise, do not “push through it.” Stop and rest.
- Allow your body to recover after exercise. The injury rate goes up after consecutive days of strenuous activity.
- Wear protective gear if you engage in sports.
- Follow a nutritious diet. For example, calcium-rich foods help to maintain bone density.