University of Colorado Hospital
Advanced Stroke Life Support
This is a practical, hands-on 8 hour course that addresses the pre-hospital, emergency department and stroke unit management of patients with acute stroke. The course will incorporate interactive discussions, hands-on workshops, video, and standardized patients.
- Describe why early treatment may result in a marked reduction in risk of disability.
- Perform focused evaluation to identify stroke, its location and severity and t-PA contraindications.
- Identify the 5 main stroke syndromes and relate them to pathophysiology and clinical signs.
- Describe pre-hospital care protocol and communication
- Review all five stroke syndromes.
- Outline the protocol for t-PA administration to acute ischemic stroke patients.
- Describe the six aspects of acute stroke care for hospitalized patients.
This activity is sponsored by the Stroke Program and Center for Clinical Education, Research, and Professional Development.
8.0 Continuing Nursing Education contact hours will be provided by the University of Colorado Hospital, an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Colorado Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
This event will be held on the Anschutz Medical Campus in the Leprino building, room 613
Parking at the Anschutz Medical Campus is by fee or by permit only. Parking for this activity is available in the Ignacio, Georgetown, or Cheyenne Wells parking lots. All are indicated with a red X on the attached map. Cash/Coin/Credit Card accepted. Handicapped visitor parking is also available.
Registration by check:
To make a payment via check, download the registration form below, complete the 2nd page, and mail to the address indicated with a check.