University of Colorado Hospital
AWHONN Advanced Fetal Heart Monitoring Course
The Advanced Fetal Heart Monitoring course is designed for
Registered Nurses and Physicians with the goal of building on
basic knowledge of essential principles of fetal monitoring
including the current NICHD terminology and categories. The
focus is on advanced concepts relating to assessment,
interpretation, management and evaluation of fetal heart
rate patterns, using case scenarios for illustration and
reinforcement. Participants are expected to already
possess basic knowledge and
related skills learned in these areas:
- Maternal physiologic changes of pregnancy
- Fetal growth and development
- Methods of fetal monitoring
- Preparation of patient for set-up and initiation of external or
internal fetal monitoring
- Obtaining and maintaining tracings that document fetal
heart rate and uterine contractions
- Interpretation of uterine contraction frequency, duration,
and baseline resting tone
- Identification of the baseline fetal heart rate, variability,
- Indicated clinical interventions
- Communication and documentation standards
Upon completion of the course, participants will understand
the following concepts:
- Describe physiologic principles of maternal and fetal
oxygen transfer and acid-base balance.
- Describe concepts in antenatal testing including analysis
and interpretation of biophysical profiles and complex
antenatal fetal heart monitoring tracings.
- Analyze fetal cardiac arrhythmia patterns and describe
outcomes associated with these patterns.
- Analyze complex fetal heart monitoring patterns utilizing
current NICHD/ACOG FHM terminology and categories.
- Apply perinatal risk management principles, communication
techniques and documentation strategies related to
complex and challenging patient care scenarios.
Continuing Education Credit: 6.0 from AWHONN. Contact hour credits include independent study in preparation for the workshop.
Materials for this course will be available for pick up or will be
mailed to participants upon payment and no later than 2 weeks
prior to the course date.
Payment is due upon registration. A $20.00 administration fee
will be added to all registrations made after the registration
Your tuition minus a $10.00 processing will be refunded if
notified in writing 10 days prior to course. University of
Colorado Hospital reserves the right to cancel an offering.
A full refund would be made. Tuition cannot be transferred
to another course.There will be no tuition refunds made to
participants after a book has been distributed.
Parking at the Anschutz Medical Campus is by fee or by permit only. Parking for this activity is available in the Ignacio, Georgetown, or Cheyenne Wells parking lots. All are indicated with a red X on the attached map. Cash/Coin/Credit Card accepted. Handicapped visitor parking is also available.
Registration by check:
To make a payment via check, download the registration form below, complete the 2nd page, and mail to the address indicated with a check.