University of Colorado Hospital
The Oncology Nursing Society Chemotherapy & Biotherapy Course
The Oncology Nursing Society's (ONS) Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Course provides a comprehensive review of the knowledge needed to administer cytoxic and biotherapeutic agents.
Upon successful completion of the course and post-test, participants will receive an ONS Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Provider Card. This card validates the participant has the theoretical foundation needed to administer cytotoxic and biotherapeutic agents. The card is valid for two years.
Participants must be licensed registerd nurses who have been employed as such for a minimus of six months and are interested in learning the basics of cancer chemotherapy and its administration.
Upon completion of the course, the participant will be able to:
- Identify various therapeutic modalitites used to treat cancer with emphasis on chemotherapy and biotherapy.
- Describe the investigational process all drugs undergo to gain approval for use.
- Review ethical and legal issues related to cancer therapy.
- Identify factors affecting response to cancer therapy.
- Identify selected commonly used agents, their mechanisms of action, and any unique administration issues.
- Discuss safety precautions necessary when handling cytoxic agents.
- Review chmotherapy dose calculations and practice examples.
- Identify nursing procedures and interventions for administering cytoxic and biologic agents.
- Discuss two immediate complications of cancer therapy, extravasation and hypersensitivity, and the nursing measure required to prevent and/or reduce these complications.
- Identify selected systematic side effects of cytoxic and biotherapeutic agents and the nusing interventions required to manage these side effects.
- Review specif patient and family education that may prevent and/or reduce the impact of systemic side effects.
8:00 - 4:30 both days
Registration begins at 7:30 on day 1 and 7:45 on day 2
-- Definition of cancer
-- Treatment modalities
-- Drug development process/clinical trials process
-- Ethical and legal issues
- Goals of Cancer Therapy and Measuring Response
- Principles of Chemotherapy
- Principles of Biotherapy
- Principles of Targeted Therapy
- Safe Practice Considerations
-- Dose determination
-- Pre-treatment care
-- Routes of administration
-- Immediate complications of cytotoxic therapy
- Care of the Patient Receiving chemotherapy/biotherapy
- Side Effects:
-- GI and Mucosal Side Effects
-- Cutaneous toxicity
-- Cardiovascular Toxicity
-- Pulmonary Toxicity
-- Hemorrhagic Cystitis
-- Cognative changes
-- Ocular Toxicity
-- Alterations in Sexual and Reproductive function
-- Secondary Malignancies
- Survivorship Care Plan
- Case Studies (optional)
Continuing Education Credit:
- ONS will award 13.5 contact hours to nurses who attend this program in its entirety.
- ONS is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
- ONS is approved as a provider of continuing nursing education by the California State Board of Registered Nursing, Provider No. 2850.
Payment is due upon registration. Registrations will not be accepted without payment. Walk-in registrations will NOT be accepted.
To register with a credit card on our secure site, please click the Register link to the right side of this page.
To make a payment via check, download the registration form at the bottom of this page, complete the 2nd page, and mail to the address indicated with a check.
Your tuition minus a $10 processing fee will be refunded if notified in writing 30 days prior to course.
CANCELLATION FEE OF $90.00 WILL BE CHARGED IF CANCELLED WITHIN 3 WEEKS OF COURSE, NO EXCEPTIONS.
University of Colorado Hospital reserves the right to cancel an offering. A full refund would be made if this occurs. Tuition cannot be transferred to another course.
Parking at the Anschutz Medical Campus is by fee or by permit only. Parking for this activity is available in the Ignacio, Georgetown, or Kiowa parking lots. All are indicated with a red X on the attached map. Cash/Coin/Credit Card accepted. Handicapped visitor parking is also available.
Registration by check:
To make a payment via check, download the registration form below, complete the 2nd page, and mail to the address indicated with a check.