University of Colorado Hospital and the University
University of Colorado Hospital is a loyal and active partner with the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
UCH is a loyal and active partner with the
CU School of Medicine. Despite the
similarity in our names, however, we are
Despite the similarity in our names, however, we are not a part of the university. Legally and financially, we are separate organizations.
How We Differ
University of Colorado Hospital’s mission is to deliver the very best in health care to patients and their families. We aim to do it with the maximum amount of sensitivity.
- Financially, the hospital gets no direct state general fund support.
- Legally, University of Colorado Hospital is an independent enterprise (technically known as a “body corporate political subdivision”).
- Organizationally, we are operated by a separate Board of Directors that, in turn, oversees an independent hospital administration.
The board itself consists of 11 members. Seven are independent; four are employees of the hospital.
The University of Colorado Denver, in turn, exists to deliver the very best in education and research to its students and the public. It operates under the guidance of the University of Colorado Board of Regents.
What We Have In Common
- All our physicians are also faculty members at the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine.
- As teachers and researchers, they have to keep up with (and sometimes even invent) the very latest in best medical practices and scientific advancements.
- That is the main difference in the quality of care delivered at our hospital, versus the care available elsewhere.
Clinical & Financial Ties
- The hospital, like the university, also hosts and funds medical research.
- Though we are formally different organizations, the hospital provides significant financial support to the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine.
- The chancellor of the University of Colorado Denver sits on the hospital’s board, and serves as its chair.
A Great Campus
- The hospital and the University of Colorado Denver’s health sciences and graduate schools are neighbors on the Anschutz Medical Campus.
- We work together to make this the heart of a bold new experiment that marries exciting research, skilled caregivers and world-class facilities into the resource for advanced health care.
The hospital and the Anschutz Medical Campus. The Anschutz Medical Campus is home to most of the hospital’s services, as well as to the University of Colorado Denver’s health sciences and graduate schools. It is also the heart of a bold new health care city rising in Aurora, Colorado.