This study will evaluate a new clinical tool for assessing RV function. Strain and Strain rate analysis by speckle tracking has shown promise in being able to detect and quantify subtle forms of myocardial dysfunction. Use of this method in the right ventricle could help future patients with PAH by defining prognosis, assessing treatment effects and avoiding invasive tests.
- must be at least 18 years of age
- must meet 2008 Dana Point classification, WHO group I pulmonary hypertension
- Only subjects that are scheduled for a RHC as part of their clinical workup for PH will be considered
Patients with any of the following will be excluded:
- left ventricular systolic dysfunction
- ventricular or atrial septal defects
- primary valve disease
- pulmonary capillary wedge pressure >15mmHg on RHC
- left or right bundle branch block
- a pacemaker
- poor echo window on echocardiogram
- inability or unwillingness to consent to the study.